[Stylist] basic tutorial on prepping docs for sighted readers

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 17:01:54 UTC 2019

Sandra,

Is there a specific doc you want to create? If creative writing, fiction,
nonfiction, poetry-there are some basic formatting rules, but in terms of
visuals, sighted people don't have pics and graphics usually unless cover
art on a book. If creating PR material, it depends. News releases, PSAs,
briefings, feature articles, etc.-each has basic formatting guidelines, but
again, with visuals, it depends on the info. Anything visual would have to
be pertinent to the document at hand. For example, you may hyperlink in a
doc, or use box comments in the margins. If there were necessary info like a
chart or graphic, you might include this. But again, this is not for mere
visual stimuli but for legit info necessary to the document. At the end of
the day, as long as your doc is legible, tidy and properly formatted, that's
what is most important. There are writing guides you can find online and
writing style books to learn how to format particular docs. For creative
writing, MLA and Chicago manual are standard. For PR and journalism, AP
style is used. Purdue OWL online is one of my favorite resources. You can
find info on all writing guides. White and Strunk's writing guide is
commonly used among creative writers and is available on BARD.

Bridgit