[Stylist] Another essay published

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Wed Mar 4 18:56:43 UTC 2020

Hey Bridgit,

Congratulations on the publication, and for putting yourself out there and
publishing such a powerful, personal piece. Although I've never been
considered attractive, there were many aspects of this piece I could relate
to. Being seen as a whole person, certainly. But it was also suggested to me
early on to get prosthetics, and I made the decision not to. When I've asked
my wife or family how my eyes look, they always lie and say they look fine.
For truth, I've asked children, who say I look like a vampire, or a zombie,
or my eyes look like those of a dead fish. Sexy, eh?

I have a blind female friend who did get prosthetics, and she likes to tell
the story of sitting at a bar, being approached by a guy. After a bit of
conversation he says, "You have the most beautiful eyes..." to which she
laughed and said, "Good. I paid a lot for them!"

It's also been my experience that other kids, teachers and parents all cease
thinking of you as the blind parent once they observe how capable and
competent you are. I was warned that other kids might make fun of my kids
for having a blind Dad, but it never happened.

Back in grad school, I had a friend Doug who had a giant portwine stain on
his face. When you first saw him, it's all you noticed, this birthmark that
took up half his face. But as we got to know each other, worked together,
had a few beers together, it got to where I didn't see it at all. Today,
searching my memory, I can imagine Doug's face, but I really have no idea
which side of his face the birthmark was on. In time, he became just Doug,
and his birthmark didn't matter.

I believe that's the way my blindness is to most of the people I interact
with regularly. There are exceptions, of course, but ignorance seems to be
in style these days.

Again, congrats and
thanks for sharing.

Chris