[Stylist] Haiku for Spring

llambert at zoominternet.net llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Mar 30 19:22:43 UTC 2020

Hi Jackie,

Good questions.  Thanks for asking.

Yes, I used the 3/5/3 intentionally.

The poem is a Japanese form, and Japanese syllabic count is very different
than English.

So this creates a dilemma for those who choose to write in English.

You can find some fantastic information on this topic by visiting the Tanka
Society of America site.

http://www.tankasocietyofamerica.org/

In particular, there is a great link that discusses  this issue very well.

http://www.tankasocietyofamerica.org/tanka-teachers-guide

This publication gives a lot of insight into the aesthetics of the tanka,
and it applies quite a lot to Haiku as well

Haiku and Tanka appear, at first blush to be very easy to write. When we dip
into the Japanese

Forms in  poetry  we soon  learn more about them  and find that we  opened a
door that takes us places we  never dreamed of going.  Mysteries.
Complexities.

I think I can spend my lifetime exploring these 2 Japanese forms, and still
have so far to go.  Hope this helps.  Lynda