[Stylist] Changing character names

Shelley Alongi alongi.shelley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 22:56:52 UTC 2021

There happens to be an article in the writer magazine for September on  naming characters. There are some interesting suggestions so if you have a bard account go to the magazines and look for the writer and download the September issue. Having personal experience with thisquestion I know when I published my first novel that I had based my protagonist character name on someone that was close to me at the time and then as I published the novel and that date came closer I decided to change the name so I did and it was perfectly fine. I kept the same last name because it wasn’t related. The last name came from one that I had written down when I worked for Disney. I liked the surname so much that I said hey I think I’ll use that for a character. And then I had named a character in my book as kind of a side character and I decided that I preferred his first name for the name of my protagonist. So names are kind of personal. But there are some really good tips and ideas to consider in this magazine for September 2021. I thought we could talk about that tonight but since you won’t be there you’ll miss that discussion but you can read the article if you have Bard. You might be able to find an abstract of it on writermag.com

Shelley, Queen of Bells Out!
President, NFB Writers’ Division
Editor Slate and Style
See my self published books at Apple Books, Amazon and Barns and Noble