[TAGS] Using TactileView Tactile Graphics Software with a Screen Reader

Cynthia Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 17:29:17 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone,

Briefly, I am new to this list. I do not have any experience producing
tactile graphics as the questions in this email will relay. But I work in
the field of accessibility and am ever interested in making the processes
people use to communicate and enact their creativity, particularly such that
accessible practices are professionalized in largely inaccessible design and
technical-centered spaces.

I have just obtained a Columbia embosser and TactileView software. I am a
screen reader user interested in learning your experiences.

Specifically, how have you oriented yourself to TactileView software? I've
played around and embossed graphics as I go but sometimes I have difficulty
figuring out why what I thought I have produced did not show up or why it
turned out very differently from what I expected. What types of tactile
graphics have you produced with a screen reader? What strategies do you have
for locating graphics online that may require few edits? And, what tasks are
not yet very accessible?

I found this source online:

https://thinkable.nl/category/tactileview/tactileview-manual-en/screenreader
-en/

and Ting Siu pointed me to her talk on using TactileView that has some
screen reader access info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCanZ2A5wdQ
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCanZ2A5wdQ&feature=youtu.be>
&feature=youtu.be