[TAGS] sonification and art summer program

Valerie Alcaraz snowflake9587 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 19:21:54 UTC 2021

Hi Cheryl, maybe you and others already know about this lady, but I thought I’d share my art teacher’s response when I shared the info you posted about the youth activity. See below/

Wanda Merced-Diaz is a personal her to me with her invention, basically of sonification. Have you seen her TED talk? It is below. (A transcript of this was included in that Disability Visibility book).

https://www.ted.com/talks/wanda_diaz_merced_how_a_blind_astronomer_found_a_way_to_hear_the_stars?language=en <https://www.ted.com/talks/wanda_diaz_merced_how_a_blind_astronomer_found_a_way_to_hear_the_stars?language=en>
 <https://www.ted.com/talks/wanda_diaz_merced_how_a_blind_astronomer_found_a_way_to_hear_the_stars?language=en>
Wanda Diaz Merced: How a blind astronomer found a way to hear the stars | TED Talk <https://www.ted.com/talks/wanda_diaz_merced_how_a_blind_astronomer_found_a_way_to_hear_the_stars?language=en>
Wanda Diaz Merced studies the light emitted by gamma-ray bursts, the most energetic events in the universe. When she lost her sight and was left without a way to do her science, she had a revelatory insight: the light curves she could no longer see could be translated into sound. Through sonification, she regained mastery over her work, and now she's advocating for a more inclusive scientific ...
www.ted.com <http://www.ted.com/>

All the best,
Valerie