[Tall-Corn] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] 2020 Blind and Low-Vision Voter Survey Now Open

rjray at q.com rjray at q.com
Mon Nov 9 00:37:21 UTC 2020

Greetings,

At the bottom of this I am including a message about the voters survey. This is a rather important item for all of us to consider.

Here are a few of voting experiences that I have heard about here in Iowa this year. We are working toward accessible voting for absentee voting but it isn’t here yet.

Here on this list during October Wade talked about his experience in voting in Cedar Rapids and needing to jump through a number of whoops instead of just being able to vote with an accessible ballot or an accessible machine.

At State Convention Richard Webb talked to several people about the hoops he had to jump through to vote in Burlington.

Several people have commented about going to a polling place and the accessible voting machine not being set up or a number of other issues. The largest of these is that there was no one at the polling place that knew how to work with the machine or that it does have a button on it for putting a screen curtain down so that people around you cannot see your selections.

Cindy and I ended up doing an absentee ballot. We did have someone to mark it for us but still one more issue.

Problems with having a secret ballot are not new. In 1966, or maybe it was 1969, the Iowa Legislature passed a bill allowing blind persons to take a person of their choice into the voting booth with them. Still some polling places insist that you need to take someone from each party in with you.

The time has come and we must for once and for all need to put it to rest that blind persons have the right to voting and doing it privately. Please, fill out the survey from the National Office. If you had specific problems let the National office know about them. In addition, the Director of the Disability Rights Iowa asked us at Convention to send her stories of problems we have encountered in voting. Disability Rights Iowa, Iowa Council Of the United Blind and the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa are working together to get additional legislation passed this year so more of these problems may be solved. You will receive contact information for this effort shortly. Please, pass your stories along, contact your legislators and let’s put this one behind us.

Bob Ray