[Tall-Corn] Update Funding Available for First-Time State Convention Attendees

Helen Stevens hstevensnfb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 17:36:51 UTC 2024

Good Afternoon All,

I hope everyone is making plans to attend our state convention this year. We’re locking in some interesting presenters, and I’m personally excited about some of the little things too, like the tasty bake auction items it looks like we are going to have, and the people I’m looking forward to seeing.

As a reminder, if you have never attended an NFBI convention before, The Iowa Department for the Blind will give you a grant of up to $400 to pay for the cost. This can make the convention free for most people. The convention planning committee is happy to assist with coordinating transportation and finding roommates to help you fit your convention expenses within that $400 amount if you want; the more people who are interested, the easier it will be for us to connect people.

While helping people with their Gifts and Bequests applications, I developed a few sample documents that you might find helpful if you are submitting one. I’ve attached them here. Please remember that you must provide your own cost estimates to show how much money you will need. I’m happy to help you figure that out, or with any other aspect of the process.
The two files called “Sample Cost Estimate” are examples of what you can write to show how you come up with whatever total you ask for. They don’t need to be detailed, but they do need to be clear and reasonably accurate estimates.
The "Sample GB Application” file shows what boxes you have to fill out on the application spreadsheet. Since income doesn’t matter for this grant, you do not need to fill out any of the boxes about your income and expenses.
Again, if you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I look forward to seeing you at convention
Helen Mejia
NFBI Convention Planning Committee
Phone: (570) 983-7867
Email: hmejianfb at gmail.com