[Tn-talk] a post from a while ago

Sheri Anderson sheri.k.anderson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 00:24:15 UTC 2016

Good evening Dewey,

Thank you for remembering. Thank you for following up. I am the individual who wrote in a few weeks ago about parents in Tennessee struggling to keep custody of their children when the parent is blind. Unfortunately, there has been no resolution yet. Now, not only have I been forced into family court, accused of all sorts of things including language that specifically identifies my blindness causing the inability to parent, but I am now forced into juvenile court. It has been alleged to juvenile court that I am neglecting my 16-year-old daughter. And it is in conjunction with and lists the other court case in family court as well. At this point, there has been no true organizational gathering focused on blind parents in Tennessee. I have been told by the NFB, that this is a minor issue. That this is not a big enough challenge to warrant others assistance. I have been called rude when attempting to elicit support, and I have continued to walk this journey alone. I do have firm and aggressive legal representation, thanks to individuals in this state who do feel blind parents are challenged in the court system. My family has been struggling with this for almost a year now, after battling  it several years ago. This issue is not just my family issue. It is an issue in  this state  and probably others. It will not go away just because people look away from it. thank you again for your post and your interest. Sincerely,Sheri blind parent in Tennessee Sent from my iPhone