[Tn-talk] the register for the blind

James Brown president at nfb-tn.org
Thu May 19 15:02:57 UTC 2016

Dear Friends,
I have been in contact with the legislative coordinator for the  Department of Human Services who oversees the list of blind Tennesseans afore mentioned on this list.  VR claims it mandates eye doctors to report those who are blind in order to offer them career services although I question how many people are actually contacted for this purpose.
I researched online this past weekend and found that around half the states have a comparable law, some of which even fine doctors who do not comply with the law.  HIPAA privacy laws do not give any protection against these lists according to the research.  I think our best option is to ask the state legislature to amend the law to make it optional for the blind person to give their information to VR for vocational and IL services.  I actually think this protects our privacy as well as informing us about the VR services available to us.  There is a very good chance that VR is getting the information but not really notifying blind people about services.  What do you all think?
Sincerely,
JB

Sent from my iPhone