[Trainer-talk] anybody using the droid ascend?

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 19:31:28 UTC 2010

If you're willing to tinker and explore, then Droid may be a good
option. There are certain things that are not accessible, such as the
on board calendar, email and web browser, but at least for the email
and web browser, there ar apps that many blind people have used
successfully. The web browsing app in particular depends a lot on it's
own series of gestures. I would recommend getting an Android phone
with a keyboard, otherwise your experiences are going to be a lot more
frustrating and challenging. In the calendar, you can see a list of
your upcoming appointments, but you cannot move between days, go to a
date, or schedule an appointment on a different date. I had an LG Ally
and used Android for 2 months and within the last month I went to an
iPhone. Yes, android does have some accessibility points, but they
definitely also have a ways to go. If you're someone that wants
something you can pick up and use out of the box, then Android may not
be the OS for you. If however you're willing to do some self
exploration and have some patience, then this may be an option. One of
the few places that has lots of resources and documentation is the
Accessible Android blog at:

http://www.AccessibleAndroid.blogspot.com

Though I don't know for certain, I've heard rumors that Google has
moved away from accessibility in the newest offering of Android,
Gingerbread or Android 2.3. That's doesn't mean that the phone you get
will have version 2.3, or that it will get that version soon or in a
long time, but something to be aware of. In their recent podcast,
Serotek said that they were going to do another Android podcast on
where it is with accessibility and such. I'd suggest holding off and
waiting for that upcoming podcast. They didn't say when it would be,
but my guess is in the next few weeks.

Good luck,
Wayne