[Trainer-talk] Re : at training for a 5 year old

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. ukekearuaro at valtdnet.com
Wed Nov 16 17:55:41 UTC 2011

Hi Lisa:

Of course, you'd have to introduce this student to the computer slowly in my
opinion.  I suggest you consider teachin all the screen readers you have
reasonable access to; don't just limit your teaching to Jaws!  The goal
should be to help the student MAKE AN INFORMED choice as to which screen
readers is preferred overtime.  Teaching just one of them would not give the
student a chance to make an informed choice when it is time to do so.

If your institution limits you to a particular screen reader, that's
unfortunate and sad.  Not all screen readers work well in all situations and
that's why your student should not be limited to a single choice.  Early
exposure does help with informed decision making much later.

In my retail store, I'm unable to use a certain screen reader for my POINT
OF SALE software without paying more than $3,000 for scripting; also, I use
the state's web portal to FILE MEDICAL SUPPLY CLAIMS.  Only ONE screen
reader interacts well with this web portal.  If I had limited myself to JUST
ONE screen reader, I'd have had little success in making an informed choice.
Trainers and rehab counselors need to STOP PUSHING one screen reader DOWN
THE GUTS of the folks they're trying to train; rather, they should expose
them to the various possibilities there are and encourage them to make their
own choices.  Anything less is unfair!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado