[Trainer-talk] technology questions

Nancy Coffman nancylc at sprynet.com
Thu May 30 12:10:52 UTC 2013

,hello There is one possibility I have not seen discussed in this conversation. There are a few Braille displays that provide the ability to use .txt and .brf (braille files(. I can think of the Braille Edge and the Perkins Mini but I know there are others. I think Alva has one. You could read other types of files with it using either an idevice or a laptop. Some of these also have a calendar and an alarm. They don't have some of the other note-taker capabilities like databases and chat programs but your computer and smart phone might meet those needs. Mike Barber wrote a review of the Braille Edge in the Braille Monitor a few months ago. I have not seen a review of the Perkins Mini or any of the others with those capabilities but a little research might reveal some. I would be interested to know what you decide.  I have written this on an IPhone with a Braille display. I find that when I dictate, editing is difficult without a Braille display. There are distractions when using a display with an IDevice because of how Apple handles contracting Braille. I would not be able to concentrate on a meeting and deal effectively with taking notes on an IDevice for long. There are also less easy shortcuts for navigation, such as paragraph.  Now you have my 2 cents worth. I hope it helps. Good luck with your purchase. For the money it is a lot to think about.

Nancy Coffman
Sent from my iPhone