[Trainer-talk] Outlook?

Julie A Adkins assistivetechtrainer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 13:39:25 UTC 2014

Yes, if the person has to work they must have Outlook. And that network version--is it called Exchange? is not accessible. it doesn't use the standard keyboard commands. The employer has to buy a copy of the real Outlook and put it on the person's personal computer.

If the person is just a home user, I have been using Windows live mail for several years, and recently have started using Thunderbird.  The mail app built into Windows 8.1 is too complicated to use for screen reader users, and so is the Outlook.com website. Well, if you have a Zomtext user who uses the mouse, that person could use the Outlook.com site. It does have some keyboard commands too, just not the ones we are used to. I got excited about it when I first tried it, but then I realized JAWS cannot work well with it.

Julie Adkins
Assistive Technology Trainer
Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist
704-516-6617