[Trainer-talk] College requirements for assistive technologytrainers

Laine Amoureux laine.amoureux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:20:44 UTC 2014

As everyone else has  indicated, no degrees necessary, in General, for working with the blind or visually impaired population & AT.

Some states require specific certifications, so it all depends on where you want to work, researching the requirements for that area.
 I finish the M.S. In ATHS from Csun this week... The course work is pretty generic, meaning there is no specific AT focus, or emphasis on working with a specific subset of the population of individuals experiencing impairment. It is not required as a prerequisite for any existing assistive technology certification… Like theRESNA ATP or ACTP.
The course work has allowed me to expand my professional network; gain a more solid understanding of the role(s) of other AT providers, like OT, PT, & SLP, and how to communicate more effectively with them while on a team; provided a more thorough understanding of how assistive technology services are acquired and delivered in the educational system; & allowed me to explore new strategies for assisting VR counselors & transition teams create more meaningful AT outcomes. Due  to the generic nature of the courses each student gets to customize their graduate experience…
HTH

Laine Amoureux
Sent from my iPhone