[Trainer-talk] Screen Reader Users Teaching Magnification Software?

Laine Amoureux laine.amoureux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 23:00:11 UTC 2015

 I have never hadtoo much trouble.
We emphasize the use of keyboard keystrokes over using the mouse anyway, so we take it from a keyboard user standpoint, not necessarily a screen reader standpoint.
In many ways, the student has learned faster, because they must provide some of the information I would other  Wise gather from my screen reader… This, while not ideal, forces the student into problem-solving mode.
I also utilize Trainingware, and if I prepare well enough, many times I do not have any difficulty, and can anticipate what is going to happen, or what has happened… Reducing the amount of confusion and frustration… often times I also find screenshots, or descriptions, of how or what things should look like when using this curriculum, and can use those to convey visual information to my low vision student.
Sometimes the attitude, and difficulty relating, that is often conveyed by higher partials utilizing the magnification software has more to do with where they are in their adjustment phase, and how comfortable they are around people who are blind.
We try to meet our students in the middle, and if someone is struggling that much, they will move to work with a cited, or high partial, instructor.
 If the difficulty relating is in fact a component of the adjustment phase, we don't push it… Too hard at least :-) as the blind instructor, I cannot meet the person struggling with adjustment and their comfort level around people who are blind,halfway if they are not also willing to work on it… That has to come in their  own time.

Laine Amoureux
Sent from my iPhone