[Trainer-Talk] Update on cisco jabber

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Dec 14 19:41:11 UTC 2016

Thanks to a friend, I was able to get the latest JAWS scripts for Cisco Jabber, which were just updated December 5 from:
                https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284324806&catid=280789323&softwareid=284006014&release=11.8(0)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest
Note you still need to be an authorized Cisco customer to download them; this link doesn't work for ordinary end users.

The scripts were in a .exe file which did find JAWS 18 and 17 on my PC and Jaws 15 through 18 on my second PC. There was no way to get at the individual script files before installation: all that I unzipped was the .exe file which performed the installation.

The scripts come with no documentation  though the jss files can be read. Unfortunately whoever developed this set of scripts wasn't very good at commenting them, so it's a bit hard to figure out why they work and what they do. And no end-user documentation is supplied. There are a few keystrokes in the keyboard manager, but it appears that the scripts mainly monitor what gets focused and then attempt to read appropriately. It would have been nice if they'd monitored all the Jabber-specific keystrokes to give relevant feedback as well.

Overall, Jabber's accessibility has improved, but it is still confusing to figure out where I am and what I'm doing. For example, when I call a number in my contacts, if I press enter after searching for that contact, I always dial the first number I entered in that contact. I haven't figured out an accessible way to dial a different number in a contact record.

--Debee
haven't dosear
They have labeled most of the windows, tabs and prompts but not all. There are places when entering a contact where wrong information is spoken or information is missing. Sometimes the JAWS cursor can locate the correct prompt, and sometimes not.

There is also a problem in advanced audio settings where you have to drag and drop devices to arrange them in order. I haven't gotten that to work; so each time I restart my computer, Jabber defaults to my speakers instead of my headset.