[Trainer-Talk] Mac accessibility questions

Tech Center newvisiontechcenter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 19:51:18 UTC 2016

Sarah,
Hard to answer this so I'll give some generalities and few pointers. I
looked on AppleVis as it appears you did and didn't see anything about
Open Access; except your post asking about it. I think you need to have
a buddy at the paper go into the Help and About section of the app and
cut and paste the details to you or get a screen shot of it and email it
too you. Secondly, I think there's tons of writing options on the Mac
that are accessible. Shelly Brisbin the writer of the iOS Access Book,
wrote it on a Mac. She's pretty knowledgeable and I'm sure if you
emailed her or tweeted her she'd give you some pointers. The default
Office style app for word processing is called Pages with a capital P.
As far as I know it reportedly super accessible; but switching over to
that platform and learning a new screen reader might prove challenging.
If you're familar with iOS gestures you could use a lot of those if you
have a smart track pad paired with you Mac. I think a lot of writers
these days also use MardDown, which I is heavily support on Macs and
iOS. Its a style of simple syntax commands that your application
converts into a more sophisticated looking document later. For example:
your headings have a hashtag in front of them... And hyper links simply
have angel brackets and or are a combination of square brackets around
and item. Say [yahoo](www.yahoo.com).. Anyhow, the beauty of Markdown
for us is its simple cross platform standard, you can edit them in
notepad or on a Mac with TextEdit... Or a huge program like Pages,
ByWord, or Microsoft Word. And you get all the details about your
writing or formating I should say right in the material. So, that's just
an added thought. I think the mechanics of the thing are probably the
most important; for your document submission. What do they want, a word
doc uploaded, an xml file, an .md file, or .odf file, or a million other
things. Once you know that, I'd say find the solution for you that
works. I'd check around too, it seems hard to believe to me that a
struggling paper is forcing everybody, editors an the like to use Macs.
I say struggling respectfully, because all papers are struggling these
days. Hope that helps, if you find out more let us know, an feel free to
bend your local Voc Rehab agency's ear to help out.
-David