[Trainer-Talk] request help with Braille Sense Plus Braille display

Graham Mehl blind at trailstone.com
Sun Jun 4 21:43:12 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I am looking for support for my Braille Sense plus. I have sent several
emails to HIMS support with no replies. I have looked in the user manual. I
am only finding basic generic info, which is not helpful for my
difficulties.

With some help I did get it hooked up to my WiFi. This intern allowed me to
update the firmware to the latest. The version of firmware is 5.5 build
20100630. When I ask it to update the firmware now, it says it is the
latest.

I would like to accomplish 3 things:

1.       Connect the Braille Sense plus to my iPhone 6,

2.       Connect the Braille Sense to my laptop, so I can use it as a
Braille display,

3.       Connect to the bookshare web site to download books and open the
files.

I am trying to get my device connected to my iPhone 6, but the Bluetooth I
am having difficulty with. I believe I have the Braille Sense in terminal
mode correctly and waiting for the pin request, but the prompt for the pin
on the phone seems to timeout after 5 seconds and I cannot get the pin
entered fast enough with voice over on. A sighted person tried it, but still
does not take. It is a super long time before I can get the pin request to
show up on the phone again. I was getting pin requests on the Braille
display before the firmware update. But I did not realize I had to use
computer Braille to enter the pin at that time.

I am trying to find the USB drivers to allow my Braille Sense to talk to my
computer, but I am not sure which ones to use?

I found this web page, but I cannot seem to find the Braille Sense Plus
specified. Am I looking in the wrong place?

https://hims-inc.com/braille-sense-series/

I was told that with the latest firmware update, I should see a library menu
item on the Braille Sense that would include a bookshare utility. I cannot
find the Bookshare download utility in the main menu system that is accessed
through the F1 key. What firmware update is this in for the Braille Sense
plus?  I tried to download and copy over via an USB drive a brf and daisy
formatted file and I cannot seem to get the Braille sense to open them. I
see the files in the Braille sense file manager. I have the zip and unzipped
files. The Daisy player does not recognize any of the files. Please advise
on how to get these file types to open and how best to get to the bookshare
site to get access to their book collection. When I try to access many web
sites including bookshare, I am getting multiple errors with site
certificates. I suspect this is due to the fact many note takers use Mobile
IE6, which is super outdated.

Thank you.

--

Graham Mehl

 <mailto:blind at trailstone.com> blind at trailstone.com

NFB Central Maryland Chapter, Vice President

LCB graduate, 2016

 <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>