[Trainer-Talk] Teaching Unlock/Swipe Gesture on newer iPhones

Raul Gallegos (NFB) rgallegos at nagdu.org
Tue Sep 10 12:32:12 UTC 2019

Hello, the best way to teach this is to drag instead of flick. many times
people use the wrong term for the iPhone gestures. For example they will
say a swipe left or swipe right or swipe up etc. The real term is flicking.
I describe the flicking gesture as if you need to quickly push something
off of the screen, such as a crumb of cookie. Swiping and dragging is a
little different in that to me it sounds like the gesture is slightly
slower. So when I described how to activate the home button on an iPhone
10, I described it as swiping up from the bottom center of the phone. When
you do this, think of it like there is a small tag that you are bringing up
from the bottom center and you are bringing it to the point where you feel
that first vibration. This will activate the home button. When I teach, I
use a lot of analogies and so this one may or may not work.

---
Raul A. Gallegos
Vice President: National Association of Guide Dog Users
Vice President: National Federation of the Blind Houston Chapter
Treasurer: Texas Association of Guide Dog Users

E: rgallegos at nagdu.org        H: raul at raulgallegos.com
M: 832.554.7285               O: 832.639.4477

"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap." - Kenneth Jernigan