[Trainer-Talk] Mountbatten Brailler vs Smart Brailler and Other Similar Options?

Snow, Amy L. (IT) amy.snow at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Wed Mar 2 00:43:40 UTC 2022

Good evening,

A teacher friend of mine reached out to me with this question and I thought I'd pose it to the group.

She has a student who needs a light touch brailler due to limited finger strength.  However, the Perkins Light Touch isn't "light touch enough" for lack of a better term.  The family has worked with a Mountbatten Brailler in previous districts and insists it is the only device that will work and isn't very cooperative when the teacher is looking for other options.  This teacher thinks the Mountbatten is "overkill" since it seems to be an embosser and learning system as much as anything and the light touch capabilities is the only feature that the student really utilizes.

As background, the student is more or less on grade level and is in middle school.  Not sure what the student is looking at for postsecondary options, but even if they did know, they've got plenty of time to change their mind!  Smile.

The TVIs questions are these:

  1.  What's the advantage of the Mountbatten over something like a Smart Brailler (which also has a light touch, is more portable, and is more cost effective)?
  2.  There used to be more than one type of Mountbatten...but now there just seems to be one?  Does anyone have a comparison of the different models?
  3.  Are there other more realistic options of light touch braillers that would be more appropriate for a student who only really needs to have the ability to produce hard copy braille and not have the extra "bells and whistles"?
  4.  Have you had a client or student who has found this device to be the only one that really "works" for them?  If so, what features make it the best option for them?

Thanks to anyone with insight!

Amy