[Travelandtourism] Latest update on issues with the Kennedy Space Center in Florida

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:57:01 UTC 2011

As many of you by now have heard that while we were at the Convention in
Orlando in July. I did a tour group to the Kennedy Space Center, as well as,
had a few members go on there own prior to the convention.

Many of the issues that we have faced are being worked on and eagerly from
Kennedy.

They don't want to have issues with anyone with a disability.

I have been working with Dan Hicks the President of the Florida Affiliate,
who has assigned Ms. Sherri Brun, who is the Vice President of the Orlando
Chapter to work with me in getting the issues rectified.

>From the beginning, once I finally found the correct person to speak to at
the Kennedy Space Center and from now on I will use KSC.  The Gentleman's
name is Mr. Craig George, Director, Protective Services.

We have spoken many times on the phone and via e-mail about the issues that
were unacceptable.

Mr. George has also sent me via e-mail and regular mail, all that has been
discussed on the phone.

Sherri Brun actually met with Mr. George in early November, and from her
meeting with him she wrote me.

"Mr. George seems to want to make things all right. He definitely wants to
work with the NFB Greater Orlando Chapter on formulating their policy toward
the disabled. He was attending a convention for theme park owners and is
going to talk to Disney about their descriptive service for touring the
park. He also will get in touch with NFB to find out how to make their
website more accessible. He suggested in the future if you make tour
arrangements to work with KSC exclusively instead of going through a third
party. He also plans on attending our state convention over Memorial Day
weekend and the national Convention in 2013. I am sure we will keep in
touch. Seems most willing to work with us."

The only issue I have with what he told her, is that I tried to arrange for
a tour directly with KSC but they only offered this to students or Seniors
and not to any other groups, or I would have done it that way.  Also, I had
other people going on their own, so that this would not have been an option
at all.

Just updating all that this is going in the right direction.

I have also contacted Mr. George in hopes of having those that went on the
tours in July would be able to do the tours again in 2013 at not additional
charge only because of what was done to us.

So he hasn't responded to that, so I will keep everyone abreast of it all.

Take care.
Take care.

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

For daily updates read our blog at