[Travelandtourism] New proposal seeks improved access for disabled fliers

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 21 18:13:32 UTC 2011

FYI. The story at the end refers to the regulations.gov website, which by
the way isn't accessible and I had spoken to

Best,
Rebecca Younes
Lead Technologist, Cornell eRulemaking Initiative
Cornell University Law School
158B Myron Taylor Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-254-4628

Which is doing this for the Department of Transportation, I posted some
remarks to it, but at the same time, even for myself with magnification it
is hard to maneuver and no screenreader friendly, I let Mr. Younes know
this, and her excuse was that, we had very little time to make sure this was
accessible.

So the people that are responding to the issues are not blind at all, so if
you want me to post some things for you in reference to this on the comments
section to be sent to Secretary LaHood, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Echevarria, President
Travel and Tourism Division
National Federation of the Blind
631-236-5138

9/20/2011

News Outlet: USA TODAY

The Transportation Department wants to require airlines to make their
websites and airport kiosks more accessible to the disabled.

The proposed regulation -- made Monday following years of complaints by
travelers with disabilities about getting tickets on flights -- is similar
to a proposal made in 2004 that airlines and travel agents resisted because
of the cost and complexity of the changes.

The new proposal calls for the airlines to make their websites accessible to
blind people for reservations and check-ins within a year. The airlines
would have two years to make the rest of their websites more accessible.

Websites that market U.S. flights also would have to upgrade, although small
travel agencies would be exempt.

Under the proposed rule, airlines would also have to upgrade airport kiosks
that print boarding passes or baggage tags with braille, audio messages and
screens visible 40 inches off the floor. The upgrades to kiosks would apply
as airlines replace machines during the next decade.

"I strongly believe that airline passengers with disabilities should have
equal access to the same services as all other travelers," Transportation
Secretary Ray LaHood said in announcing the proposed regulation.

More than 15 million adults have disabilities with vision, hearing or
mobility, according to the Census Bureau, and nearly one-third travel by
air.

The advocacy group Paralyzed Veterans of America welcomed the kiosk
proposal, saying people with vision and physical impairments have been
unable to read screens too high off the ground or use touch-screen
functions.

Marc Maurer, president of the National Federation of the Blind, argued that
airlines are "openly discriminating" when not using the most accessible
technology.

"It is critical for blind people to be able to buy tickets, check in, print
boarding passes and select seats independently," Maurer said.

A rule that took effect in May 2008 required airlines to discount tickets
for disabled passengers who had to make reservations by phone or in person.
Airlines had to provide assistance to disabled passengers who couldn't use
their kiosks.

Parts of that rulemaking were hotly debated for years, with 1,300 comments.
The Air Transport Association, an airline industry group, argued at the time
it would cost each airline at least $200,000 to upgrade their website, plus
tens of thousands more each year in maintenance.

Steve Lott, an association spokesman, said the group is still reviewing the
newest proposal.

The administration estimates that tens of millions of dollars spent
upgrading websites and kiosks would be offset by having more disabled
customers buy tickets and saving the time of airline employees.

The proposed rule will be published this week in the Federal Register, with
60 days for public comment at www.regulations.gov.