[Travelandtourism] FW: court case against Costco from 2004

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:25:43 UTC 2012

updates from President Gwizdala, NAGDU in reference to Costco issues.

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

For daily updates read our blog at
http://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com

Dear All,
    I spoke with Fred Kaplan, a private
attorney who represents Costco, and Derek Snead, Costco's in-house attorney,
today. They advised me of this and one other court case in which their policy
was upheld by the federal court. Mr. Snead advised me that he would be touching
base with Dionna (don't know her last name), who identified herself as the
Administrative Assistant to the Executive Vice President, to ascertain what
document she read to me concerning their policy. He admitted that this person
works for an Executive VP, but the VP's responsibility is in the area of
construction and has only architectural compliance responsibilities.

    Mr. Kaplan stated that their policy is
a good policy. I stated that a policy may be a good policy; however, when it is
misinterpreted or not adhered to, resulting in discrimination, it is the
behavior, not the policy, that will be judged. Mr. Kaplan also affirmed that
Costco is not a private club by nature; it is a public accommodation subject to
the provision of the ADA.
    Mr. Kaplan agreed to send Costco's
service dog policy to me via email, but I have not yet received it. He also
stated that he will be reviewing, re-writing, and disseminating additional
information concerning this policy in light of this issue and the fact that the
policy has not been reviewed since the new regulations took effect. I offered
our assistance in drafting these new policies. I will
keep everyone abreast of the developments on this issue.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala

  Leading the
  Way in Independent Travel! Cheryl Echevarria http://www.echevarriatravel.com