[Travelandtourism] alaska again

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Mar 5 16:54:48 UTC 2012

Heya all!

I'm making progress on my Alaska vacation plans.  We have it narrowed
down a bit.  I'm still looking for any insider tips from people who live
there or who have visited.

We will be going in the first half of June, exact dates not set quite
yet.  According to tide tables this seems that it will be the best time
for collecting Razor Clams, something my teenage son is very excited
about!  We will be flying into Anchorage, but only spending a day or so
there.  We are planning on taking the train to Seward to spend 3 or 4
days there.  Then it's on to Homer for another 4 or so days.

We are tentatively planning a dog sled tour in Seward, the clamming, a
day cruise of glaciers near Seward, a cooking lesson near Homer,
fishing, horseback riding and a lot of eating!

So my current questions are:

what sort of fishing would you recommend for total beginners?  from
shore, from a boat and what type of fish is most easily caught in early
June?

What sorts of local foods should we plan on trying?  If you have
restaurant suggestions in Anchorage, Seward or Homer that would be amazing!

Has anyone been ocean kayaking?  What sort of fitness level does this
require?  What sort of blindness related concerns are there with this
activity?

Is there something in the above areas that is a must see that I haven't
listed?  I don't want to miss anything, but doing everything will be
impossible.

Thanks for any ideas,
Julie