[Travelandtourism] White cane safety day

adrijana prokopenko adrijana.prokopenko at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:28:31 UTC 2013

Hi all,

 I hope there will be events in other parts of the world to mark the
day. Today many blind people gathered down town where I am, with white
canes in their hands making a long walk from the center to another
part of town. We also got the media covering the event and we then
gathered at a disability organization where my students gave a
performance and the priminister of labor and a few professors from the
special education department from a local university also gave their
speeches. There was also a promotion of a book by a blind author which
died a few years ago. The extracts from the book described events from
his life and they seemed pretty accurate to us blind people, but the
critics of the editor were not that good at all. To them, it sounded
as if this book was subjective and describing imagionary things that
only blind people think of and it is too bad they didn't leave a
session for questions and answers after that, so we could also voice
what we wanted to say.

 I was also wondering if the NFB cooperates to white cane factories
from around the world. I am asking, because most of the canes made
nowadays are produced in Asia and the ones that are donated to
blindness organizations like hours are usually canes used to warn
drivers that the person is blind or canes that are not right for our
hight. Not a single cane of those has a cane tip, which makes them not
useable, which is extremely unfortunate.

Regards,

 Adrijana