[Travelandtourism] Questions about getting assistance in airports

robynwallen at juno.com robynwallen at juno.com
Sat May 28 04:14:28 UTC 2016

Most airports now have companies who assist those who need it to the gate.  I know of at least two companies.  One is Ram the other is Air Services and I believe there is also one called Gateway.  I typically put in my reservation that I am blind and will need assistance in part because it makes it so much easier to get thru security and since I have had knee replacements I do occasionally accept a wheelchair if its a long walk and I have a lot to carry.   Once you get to the curbside check in desk most airlines will call one of these companies to assist you.  Most will bring a wheelchair but you can refuse it.  When Mark and I travel together we have one assistant and I take a wheelchair and he just walks with their elbow.  It allows you to the front of the line and it makes it easier with all the drama of taking your shoes etc off.  lol.  Here is a tip I do now when we fly.  I always take a photo of our luggage so that if I am getting assistance at the destination they can easily spot my luggage and pull it from the carousel.  Its life saver in busy airports like Las Vegas.  If I need assistance when I get off the plane I normally tell the flight attendant some time during the flight.  I have been a travel agent for a very long time and I can tell you that a lot of times  the airline people do not read what is in the reservation so it never hurts to remind them.  When you get to the airport have the cab or uber driver or whoever takes you there direct you to check in desk. Robyn