[Vabs] May NFB Chapter Newsletter

NFBof Fx john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Wed May 13 00:05:24 UTC 2009

If you would like to be removed from this list, please reply to this email
with a note telling me so.

Thank you,

John Bailey

Important job finding info inside!

Dear Members and Friends:

This is the May 2009 newsletter of the Fairfax Area Chapter of the National
Federation of the Blind of Virginia. There is lots and lots of exciting
information
below along with a copy of the Red Lobster menu at the end of this
newsletter.

Meeting Location:

For the May 21, 2009 meeting, we will be gathering in the banquet room at
the Fairfax City Red Lobster, located at 10325 Fairfax Boulevard. They can
be
reached at (703) 691-1011. Their website is www.redlobster.com
(http://www.redlobster.com/).

Those wishing dinner should arrive at 6:30 p.m. The formal meeting will
begin promptly at 7:00p.m. and run till 9:00 p.m. We will be meeting in the
banquet
room at the restaurant. A copy of the menu is at the bottom of this
newsletter.

If you need transportation assistance from the Vienna Metro Station, please
contact Chapter Vice-President Cathy Schroeder at (703) 319-9226. We want to
make sure anyone who wants to attend a meeting is able to do so.

This Month's Program:

This month, we are so very pleased to have Executive Coach Joan Fletcher
speak to us. Joan's business (
http://winningwaysinc.com/)
specializes in assisting executives and those who someday wish to be
successful professionals develop their skills so that they can be prepared
for when
opportunities for advancement appear. At this month's meeting, Joan will be
sharing with us the same secrets executives pay thousands of dollars to
learn
that will give you the edge necessary either to find a job or to advance in
your current one.

Joan will be talking about the power of networking and about how to have a
resume that will gain results.

Newspaper ads and websites are fine at listing jobs, but they are seen by
thousands or tens-of-thousands of others who are competing for the same
opportunities.
To really increase your chances of getting employment, you must go after the
jobs that are not advertised. You must develop a network of friends,
coworkers,
and associates who will tell you about the "invisible jobs". If you are
serious about finding a job or a better one, you should add the power of
networking
to your career strategy. Joan will show us how to make and maintain the
personal contacts that will give you the inside edge on unadvertised
opportunities.

Also, Joan will describe the characteristic a winning resume must have in
order to generate the results you want. A resume is a snapshot of your
career
goals and skills. Having a resume that resonates with potential employers
will put you ahead of all the other applicants and get you that all
important
first interview.

In this job market, anyone who wishes to advance their career or who wants
to start one should come to the May 21 meeting to hear Joan tell us about
how
we can use the power of networking to find the "invisible" jobs and how to
write a resume that gets the interviews.

Are you interested in seeing how your resume stacks-up? Send a copy of your
resume to
john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
 and Joan may give you one-on-one advice on how to turn your resume from a
"run-of-the-mill" in to a "front runner!" Please send your resume at least 3
days prior to the meeting so that Joan can have a chance to look it over.

Future Chapter Activities You Might Enjoy:

In the next few months, chapter members will once again join up with the
members of the Fairfax Harley-Davidson Owners Group (HOGs) to take a tour of
the
city by motorcycle. We had this same event two years ago and it was great.
The HOGs gave us a show-and-tell of their bikes and then took us on a tour
of
the city via motorcycle.

Currently, we are working on a firm date and time for the next city ride.
So, keep reading future announcements to see when you will have a chance to
join
the next city ride.

The Fairfax Chapter announces two Scholarships for the 2009 national
Federation of the Blind Youth Slam:

The National Federation of the Blind is hosting a second Youth Slam in the
summer of 2009; it will be very similar to the Youth Slam held in 2007.
However,
this year, it will be held at the University of Maryland in College Park.
The purpose of the NFB Youth Slam is to introduce blind and low-vision
students
to careers they traditionally may not have thought of for an occupation.

A "track" is a series of activities designed to make students familiar with
a particular career. In the 2009 Youth Slam, there will be many of the
tracks
that were offered in 2007. This includes tracks in rocket science, biology,
chemistry, physics, astronomy, Earth science, computer science, and a Youth
Slam News journalism track. In addition, we will be introducing several new
tracks; they are forensics, sports science, and will also include an
inventor's
track.

The 2009 NFB Youth Slam will begin on July 26 and run for five days. There
is no registration fee. However, once you are accepted into the program,
there
is a $250 program fee which will cover travel, lodging, food, and program
expenses.

The Fairfax Chapter sees the value of teaching our youth that there is no
limit to what one can achieve even if you are blind. So, the Fairfax Chapter
is
offering two $250 scholarships to local teens to attend the Slam this
summer. If you are interested in learning more about the 2009 Youth Slam
scholarships
offered by the Fairfax Chapter, contact John Bailey at (703) 994-2040 or via
e-mail at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com (mailto:john_bailey17 at hotmail.com). For