[VABS] Recap: VABS July 2017 Conference Call

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 00:54:38 UTC 2017

Good Evening VABS

First, I want to thank all of you for participating in the conference call
this evening. It was great to hear how many of you were interested in our
upcoming events. I have broken down all that we have talked about so that
anyone who missed it can catch up:

1.	VABS had 4 total challenges to win prizes. The first two prizes were
part of our Ice Breaker Challenge on Networking. Naim and Michael won $25
gift cards to Walmart. The next prize will be awarded for our Ice Breaker:
Who is your Chapter President challenge. If you are unaware of how this
works, contact me or refer to the previous email about it. The final prize
was for the tenth caller tonight for our meeting. Technically, Ashley won
this prize, but she did not stay on when her name was called so I had to do
"Don't Forget the Lyrics," to give that prize away. Emmanuel won $20 for
this challenge. All four of these awards will be given out at our state
board meeting next month.
2.	The State Board Meeting is on Saturday, August 5, 2017 at the DBVI
Library in Richmond, VA. If you participate in the Ice Breaker: Who's Your
Chapter President challenge, you will learn what chapter is closest to you
and be able to figure out how people near you are attending this meeting.
This may assist people with transportation needs if they have room for you
to ride with them to Richmond. The meeting begins at 11am and ends at 2pm.
VABS will be fundraising to continue challenges and prizes like this by
selling lunch meals to the attendees for $5 and any members that attend the
meeting can help with the event. Students in college or high school that are
in the Northern Virginia area are encouraged to join because Tracy
Soforenko, the President of the NFB of Virginia, is holding a transition
program to provide mentors to students in that area. Parents are also
welcomed to join.
3.	The first VABS social event of the year, "Movie Day," will be
occurring on Saturday, August 5 after the state board meeting is over. This
will take place in Richmond, VA. After the meeting has ended, VABS members
are welcomed to attend a movie at the local Regal Cinemas in Richmond. Your
movie ticket and transportation to the theatre will be covered. A
registration form for people who will be attending will be available
tomorrow and students will have until Friday, July 21, 2017 to register.
After that date, you can attend, but you will not be paid for if you did not
register. A survey will be posted here and on the Facebook page on Saturday,
July 22, 2017. This gives us a chance to meet in person and have some fun to
create stronger bonds of friendship.
4.	I am currently seeking 2 interns to become part of the board of
VABS. Currently, the board consists of a President, Vice president,
Secretary, Treasurer, and two Board Members. The positions of intern will be
to build the leadership potential for the students chosen to run for a
position at our election in November and assist the division with the
fundraising and social media side of the division. One intern will oversee
assisting Kinston Walker with posting VABS announcements to the VABS
Facebook and Twitter page. The other intern will assist Tracy with helping
us when it is time to fundraise to make our treasury grow. To apply for
either of these positions, please write a one page letter to me telling me
which position you would like and why you think you are a good fit. Letter
should be received to me by this Monday, July 10. You can send them to me
privately at rob.parso3389 at gmail.com <mailto:rob.parso3389 at gmail.com> .

That is all for now. If there are any questions that you may have, please
send a reply to this thread.

Blessings

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 200 3275

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass