[VABS] VABS Pat Yourselves on the Back

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 07:50:54 UTC 2017

Hey Vabsters

I just wanted to take this time to say that you all are doing a wonderful
job. I went to register for the state convention online today (don't forget
to register at www.nfbv.org <http://www.nfbv.org> ) and I saw the child care
information up there for parents. I was pleased to see that our fundraising
chair, Naim Abu El-Hawa, is coordinating those efforts. Naim, your
leadership is amazing and I am so happy that you are being so active.

I really want to talk about everything that our division has done this year.
When I first became President of this division last November, I was somewhat
lost because I did not have a blueprint of how to run a division. I did not
know how to retain interest in students and I did not know what events would
work and get everyone excited. However, I took the challenge anyway and
hoped for the best. From our trip to the National Center in Baltimore for
the Student Summer Blowout to the fundraising at national convention to the
planning of our work at state convention, I can't believe the leaps and
bounds we have taken as a group and division. I had to check the magnitude
of our event in October and I will say this. We, VABS, are the first
Virginia affiliate  division in over 6 years to host our own event for
National Meet the Blind Month. It may not seem like a big deal, but let me
tell you, on the national level divisions are just as, if not stronger, than
chapters or affiliates themselves. This year, we saw the National
Association of Blind Students cohost the National Convention. With our
efforts truly focused and performing the way we do, we could one day be
asked to host the state convention. Let's keep on pushing and making things
happen as students for this state affiliate because people are watching and
people are impressed. Excellent job everyone on all that you do and have a
good weekend.

With Love

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 801 7674

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass