[VABS] What are Richmond and Washington Seminars?

André Hill andrehill6188 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 22:27:12 UTC 2023

Dear Members

As we prepare for the new year, I encourage you to attend both Richmond and
Washington Seminar, but If you have never been you probably are not sure
what they are and why they are important.

Richmond Seminar is where we (the members of the NFB of Virginia) come
together and champion issues on the state level that matter to us here in
the Commonwealth. Topics can range from increase funding for DBVI, braille
literacy, establishing our position as disabled individuals under the
Virginia Human Rights Act, and disabled workers rights in the Commonwealth,
to name a few.

Washington Seminar is just like Richmond but it is on a federal level.
Legislation at this level governs the entire country. Topics on the federal
level can range from establishing SSI/SSDI, tax credits such as Affordable
Technology Access Act, discussions about accessible textbooks and
supplemental materials.

Now for the why.

If you want to be treated just like your sighted classmates and colleagues
at work, then you need to come to these seminars.

If you want equal access to textbooks so you can graduate and get a fair
paying job then you need to come to these seminars.

If you want your voice to be heard because you are tired of being
discriminated against then you should come to these seminars and talk to
your representatives about your concerns.

I will be sending out more information about these seminars shortly and how
you can attend.

I look forward to seeing you!!

Signed,

Andre