[vendtalk] Why I asked is...

Vandervoort's Vending VANDERVOORTS at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 19 19:37:30 UTC 2010

Cans versus bottles -

Consumers should make the package decision, if at all possible.  I offer
both cans and bottles in most every location - due to historical reasons.  I
have not seen a reason except one to take out the can machine.  It is great
backup if nothing else!

If is not an "either or" decision for me or my customers.  If I could, I
would add a small glass front to many of locations for odd size drinks to
expand the offering and yet maintain the  somewhat reliable old bottle drop
machine along with the can machine.  I do not want to do all things in a
single machine - service is too hard to get here if there is anything
seriously wrong with the machine.   My glass front experience to date makes
me wary of them and that is also true due to a scarcity of their parts in
the local area.

By and large, the bulk of my can sales are in prison visitation because cans
were deemed by someone to be the way to go, probably due to aluminum scrap
sales.  At another prison I know of, 100% bottles only were decided by the
local warden.  Regardless, the officers at all of the prisons appreciate the
opportunity and selection when cans, bottles, and glass front machines are
offered to them.  By the way, some officers prefer to slug a 12 oz down and
others like to sip and seal.  Security considerations have also impacted
upon the decisions regarding bottles due to ongoing contraband cell phone
issues between officers and inmates.

Some locations of mine do have a "no open container" at their workstation.
A few locations also have a "no glass bottle" policy as well.

In non-prison locations, there is nothing to suggest that 100% cans are the
right direction.

Pepsi and Coke want 3rd party vendors to move to 20 oz bottles in vending
because they make more money with that package than with cans.  They can
also control the outlets better.  Cans are far more competitive and there
are a number of other brand manufacturers that put out competitive (cheaper)
product that customers want.  Competition brings about competitive pricing
and it is not hard to use a lower price strategy to compete with Coke using
universally available aluminum cans.   I have been told that some of the
small bottlers do not want to go to bottles exclusively due to where they
sell and to whom they sell.  Also, the bottled cost for the small guy is a
lot higher, full stream, cutting into their profit margins.  Don't really
know, though.

As you may know, some vending agreements bar the use of 16.9 oz bottles in
vendors and leave that size to the super markets and what not.  That might
be the right direction for health conscience sales rather than go back to
only cans.

By the way, at roadside, can drinkers often buy, drink, throw the empty away
and drive while bottle drinkers usually buy and drive off.  Those with kids
most often buy bottles for obvious reasons, as do the truckers.

Mike Vandervoort