[vendtalk] Square register card reader and audio splitter

Steve Brand steve at ayst.net
Mon Oct 5 15:10:39 UTC 2015

So wouldn't the Square stand allow you to use Bluetooth?

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: [vendtalk] Square register card reader and audio splitter
From: "Suptic, Paul via vendtalk" <vendtalk at nfbnet.org>
Date: 10/5/15 9:54 am
To: "'vendtalk at nfbnet.org'" <vendtalk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: "Suptic, Paul" <PSuptic at mt.gov>

Bluetooth is not working out in this case. I have a Bluetooth receipt printer and a Bluetooth speaker, and both work just fine. The moment I plug in the Square reader, the iPad says Headphone plugged in and will not send any sound to the speaker.
 What I am smacking up against is addressed by the following quote from the Square support page:
 “VoiceOver is not compatible while the Square Reader is plugged directly into the headset jack. However, you can use an audio channel splitter and headphones to allow VoiceOver to work while the Square Reader is plugged in. Additional information about the use of audio channel splitters can be obtained through The National Federation of the Blind of Massachusetts.”
 Square was unable to tell me what audio channel splitter actually worked and referred me to NFBMA. NFBMA was unable to provide me with that information and referred me to this listserv.
 Since using Square as a solution seems dead in the water, what iPad based chip card reading options have been shown to work with VoiceOver?