[blindkid] O&M eval, FVA

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Apr 9 01:38:44 UTC 2009

Hello Marie,
I think it's a marvellous idea to order Jack a cane from the NFB.
However, I believe the Free Cane Program is primarily for adults and
older children. I don't think they have canes the size Jack will need
for free. However, you can purchase him one online from the
Independence Market. Just click on the link from the homepage.

Jack needs a cane that comes up to his nose. I would recommend a
carbon fibre cane because they are strong. Some folks may advise that
a cane that comes up to his nose is too long. However, a long cane
touches objects far enough in front of a blind person to give them
plenty of notice - at least two strides - so that they can stop or
avoid without bumping it. This ensures that the blind cane user can
walk at the same rate - many children run - as other children do.

As a blind cane user myself, I have tried all lengths and have
concluded that the long canes are by far the best option to promote
freedom of movement, confidence and independence. I also work with
young blind children all the time and am constantly thrilled by
watching the liberation that occurrs when they realise what a
difference the long cane makes for their safety and thus, their
confidence to move.

Best regards,

Heather Field