[blindkid] Leaving classes early

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 02:08:56 UTC 2009

Great & timely topic Sally!

I'm on call this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to filter through all
the responses yet, but look forward to doing so.

Dr. Schroeder gave a great speech on this topic - while he was using younger
kids as an example, his insights are certainly applicable to middle
schoolers & beyond. Expectations: The Critical Factor in the Education of
Blind Children by Fredric K. Schroeder, Ph.D. Future Reflections Special
Issue - The Early Years 2004; volume 23, number 2
(http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr14/fr04se25.htm).

We too had some issues at the beginning of the 6th grade school year that
required a paradigm shift at all levels (general ed, VI program, & even ours
as well) - all for the better. So much boils down to level of expectations &
using age-/grade-matched sighted peers is probably the best barometer.

When I get home Ill need to find out if there are any residual current
issues with my 6th grader. Thanks again for bringing up the topic & for all
the discussion.

Eric V