[blindkid] prosthetic eye

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Jul 29 16:14:13 UTC 2010

It depends on a number of factors I suppose, and clearly this is a
personal decision, but the bone around eyes grows in part as a
reaction of the pressure and contact with the eye inside the eye
socket.  If a child has an eye removed (or simply has a smaller than
normal eye), expect that over time, unless you have a prothetic eye in
place of the missing eye tissue the skull will not continue to develop
in a typical way in the area of the eyes. That is really hard (or
sometimes impossible) to correct later in life, even with complicated
and expensive surgery.

In trying to be as correct as possible, I'd point out that
"prosthetic" is apparently the correct term only if you've had an eye
completely removed (or were born without an eye at all). (Prosthetic:
"An artificial device used to replace a missing body part.") It is
clearly the correct term in this case, but others should know that
other terms like "scleral shell" or "conformer" generally apply when
the device goes over existing eyes (somewhat like a giant, thick
contact lens) and the important thing to know is the issue with bone
growth applies in all the above cases. No matter which solution is
appropriate, the appliance helps the bone develop normally and if it
is not used, bone growth around the eye area will slow.

Another thing to keep in mind (fair or not) is that people react in
unpredictable ways to eyes which don't look "normal". This is no doubt
one reason why some blind people, even when they have no sensitivity
to light at all, tend to wear sunglasses. A prosthetic can help a
blind person "fit in" better. As your child gets a bit older, she will
probably feel more and more self-conscience (as nearly all kids do)
and this will help with that as far as looking "different" than other
kids.  With younger children who are growing faster, clear conformers
are generally used and as I understand it, there are some that are
sort of "ready-made" but the better ones are custom fitted. Clear is
used because it is cheaper for kids who are still growing so quickly
that  cost would discourage "painted shells" being frequently replaced
as they are outgrown. I suspect this may be the same with entire eyes,
though clear conformers also let light through and that is obviously
not a need for an eye which has been removed. (Clear helps those with
light perception get more light in.)

By 5-1/2, the good news is that they these should last a lot longer
than with really young kids. Our daughter has been wearing
conformers / shells since she was a few months old and at first they
only lasted a few months each. Now (our daughter is nearly 8) we can
go a year or two with them. Some people have to take these out every
night but we've been fortunate in that we can generally go for weeks
or months without removing ours. The do fall out once in a while, but
they're pretty easy to put back. It was a battle when she was small
but much better over the last year or two.

Since you mention her other eye looks atypical, I would ask if it is
also smaller than normal. If so, you may need to end up with a shell
on that side (over her organic eye) to keep all the bone in her face
growing and developing normally.

I hope that helps a little,

Richard