[blindkid] ordered our first cane

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Mar 26 19:42:24 UTC 2010

That's an excellent point Joy.

It reminds me of how the surgeons who did Kendra's eye surgeries who
were highly recommended and excellent doctors (Truly!) were almost
completely useless as far as any guidance or direction as to where to
begin once all hope for surgical assistance to save some vision was
lost.

The fact of the matter was that Kendra was going to have Low Vision at
BEST (she has no light perception at this point) so from the start it
would have been great if they had said "hey, by the way, you may want
to go to the center for the visually impaired downtown" or to check
into the NFB / NOPBC or pretty much any group that offers help or
guidance.

It is easy to assume that a professional and expert in one area knows
about other areas that relate to our kids but in reality there's a
good chance that they may not.

I wish we could put a stack of NOPBC brochures in every one of these
people's offices. We'll have to add that to our "to-do" list. (We have
taken brochures for our state group to our own eye doctor's-- thats a
start at least...)

Richard