[blindkid] Cutting lines and accepting help at airports

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Oct 12 03:58:17 UTC 2013

Eric,

It is not possible to say exactly what each person should do about accepting help because we all have differing abilities.  I think, though, that we need to
keep in mind that society is constantly thinking we need assistance to a greater degree than we do.  This is a part of society's view of us as helpless.  We
will never change that if we don't try to do as much as we can independently.  It is often easier to accept assistance than to do it ourselves, but if we do
that, we will never learn what our real capabilities are, and just as important, neither will the general public.

I won't tell you I have never taken the easier road by accepting help, because probably most of us have.  However, there are so very many things I
thought I could not do that I have found that I can do by simply trying when it was a little scarey or inconvenient.  I believe that learning what I can about
my capabilities is part of my work as an NFB member, and it usually works out.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson