[blindkid] FW: [sensoryintegration] RE: DISNEYLAND RALLY THIS SATURDAY

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Sat Oct 12 15:10:48 UTC 2013

Penny, you bring up really important points:  teaching our kids to
figure out when an accommodation is needed and when it is not;
teaching them to advocate for themselves, both with us as parents and
with their teachers, etc.

I would add another important lesson--speaking to our kids about the
potential consequences of accepting accommodations, as we've been
discussing in these strands.  We want them to be competent and to
internalize a belief in themselves as such.  The competence--the
actual being able to DO things--will give them the confidence they'll
need to advocate and to show the world what they can do!

Carol

Carol Castellano
Parents of Blind Children-NJ
Director of Programs