[BlindMath] Tools for math OCR

Rastislav Kish rastislav.kish at protonmail.com
Tue May 4 03:14:43 UTC 2021

Hello again,

a simple situation. You have a textbook containing mathematical
equations as a scanned PDF document.

The PDF has no text layer, and you don't have anyone to read the book
for you.

What do you do?

I would like to ask:

* What tools do you use to deal with mathematical notation in graphical
documents/images/etc?

* How accurate are your tools? Are you able to get everything from the
book, or just the important information, or less?

* What equipment do you use to deal with equations in pictures on the
Internet? Are you able to reasonably read websites that don't use mathML?

I had done some research myself, but nothing of what I've found has
quite convinced me with either usability or accuracy. But it's possible,
that I was using the tools in a wrong way or I simply overlooked
something, so I wonder, what are the community experiences with this issue.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

Rastislav