[humanser] Ideas for career opportunities.

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Fri Apr 15 22:37:49 UTC 2011

Not sure I can help with the rest of this, but Myers-Briggs I
understand pretty well:

You'll get four letters from that test.  I'll describe each one.
Apologies if this is stuff you already know.

First letter:  E means Extrovert, I means Introvert.  My view of this
one is that it relates to where you get your energy, not what you do
with it.  In other words, I've met some very outspoken introverts and
maybe a few quiet extroverts, but the E/I should tell you where you go
to recharge.

Second letter:  N means intuitive, S means sensing.  This relates to
what you do with information.  An intuitive person takes what he/she
sees and tries to construct a larger picture out of it.  A sensing
person doesn't try to assign any extra meaning to what is directly
observable.  A defining question for this one, from the version of the
test I took many years ago, is, "Do facts speak for themselves, or
illustrate principals?"  The first choice is in favor of sensing, and
the second, intuitiveness.

Third letter: T means thinking, F means feeling.  This relates to what
forces determine your decisions and reactions to things.  A thinking
person will mostly use logic to make choices, whereas a feeling person
will use more emotions.  (Interestingly enough, my own scores on this
test varied rather markedly on this one over a number of years.)

Last letter:  J means judging, p means perceiving.  Of all the
letters, I'm least clear on this pair.  I believe these relate to
whether you prefer to close out things or leave them open-ended and
fluid.

For the record, after taking versions of this test several times over
several years, I refer to myself as an xNxJ, meaning the E/I and the
F/T fluctuate from time to time, but the other two don't.  I actually
came out a very strong N, as I recall.  Perhaps this is why I'm a
programmer that hangs out on a human services list, instead of a human
services person that just uses programs. :-)