[humanser] LPC or MSW

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 27 22:50:41 UTC 2015

Hello:

I chose to enter a social work master's program in  1978.  I was fairly
naive as to what I would do with a MSW degree, however the "person in
environment" focus made sense to me.

Social work uses a structural model to look at a problem, looking at issues
from a multiple of perspectives;  for me this has worked well.

While I have been working in Child & Adolescent Mental Health for the past
15 years, I have worked with the elderly, with homeless addictive disorders,
with chronically mentally ill, with adult psychotherapy, and in Child
Welfare.  My social work masters degree has provided me with a wide variety
of populations to work with and each of these experiences has enriched my
current practice.

In particular I encourage people to choose a graduate program carefully.  I
have supervised several dozens of people towards licensure in mental health
or social work.  The graduate experience of various people is dramatically
different, their views of psychodynamics can be limited.  Graduate students
who are not in a graduate program with exceptional staff and focus are less
prepared for their careers.

Yes, a good topic, Michael.

JD