[nabs-l] dog v. cane

autTeal Bloodwortho tealbloodworth at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:03:41 UTC 2010

I agree, it is a much quicker and efficient way to travel but you do need to
be a good cane traveler. With a dog i have found  that it is easier to go
around obstacles. Last fall i had a class in room 210 and another 212 on
seperate days of the week. My wonderful dog didn't have a problem knowing
which room to go to on the right day of the week.

However, even though a guide dog is a wonderful way to travel i want to add
that it is a huge responsibility. When first applying i just had in my mind
" now I can cross that 4 lane highway" or " now maybe i will walk straighter
and around people better". What i didnt know was 1 sometimes people dont
move or might distract the dog. 2 you take care of this dog like they are
your child ( brush their teeth, weigh them regularly, clean their ears,
brush them.

I hope i didn't change your mind because it is an amazing experience having
somebody that loves you so much unconditionally but yet is so helpful and i
want to reccomend Guiding Eyes For The Blind in yorktown Heights New York.

        -Teal