[nabs-l] dog v. cane

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:57:22 UTC 2010

Hi.

I agree with everything that was said.  I too, find that I travel much
faster with a dog.  It is, however, a huge responsibility.  I got my
dog in high school, and I discovered that it was a big responsibility
then.  I was ready for it though.

The best thing that I find about having a dog is the bond you have
with that dog.  My dog and I are best friends.  We are bonded for
life.  That is what I love most.  She helps me out, and I take care of
her.  I love it.

I want to add also that even though you can have your dog find rooms
for you, you need to know where you are going.  You need to know if
your dog has taken you to the right room.  A lot of the mobility
skills that you needed with a cane cannot be forgotten.  I still use a
lot of the things I learned in mobility training everyday.  Sometimes
if your dog has an attitude, she will try and take you where she
thinks you want to go instead of the real place.  Lol!  This doesn't
happen oftin, and it's easy to correct, but it is something you have
to pay attention to.

Good luck George!  If you want to talk about having a guide dog in
high school(I believe you are in high school), you can email me off
list.

I would also recommend Guiding Eyes for the Blind in Yorktown Heights,
New York.