[nabs-l] high school question

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Sat Aug 30 19:08:24 UTC 2014

I had a miserable time in high school. I am legally blind so have a fair
amount of usable vision. I used a cane due to the day blindness form the
sun even with sunglasses.

I feel when you are partially sighted you dont' fit in anywhere. You aren't
sighted and you aren't blind enough to be accepted into the blind group

I was teased relentlessly daily through all of high school. It was stuff
like "You not blind" "it's not sunny you dont' need sunglasses"

I never tried to hide anything. I used a monocular in the class and large
print with my nose against the page.

The school nurse said not to use the cane because someone might trip over
it.

It was awful. I had no friends and didn't even want to go it was so
miserable.