[NAGDU] {Spam?} Re: Alone At Home

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Aug 20 15:32:06 UTC 2016

Elise,

Dogs are good at laying on the guilt if you go off and leave them
behind, especially if they're used to going everywhere with you. Have
you left Becky behind for shorter periods before? If so, how did she do?
If you haven't, you might want to try a short trial run or two to find
out if she has separation anxiety and acts out or howls the whole time
or anything like that, especially if you live in an apartment.

In general, a dog should do fine for 5 hours and will probably just
snooze until you get back. If you don't know if she can handle herself
with the run of the house for that long, you might want to leave her in
a single room or even a crate. Just be sure to relieve her beforehand
and all that.

Really, it's about knowing your dog and your own preferences. What I
found out when I left Mitzi home now and then was that I mourned the
separation, while she seemed to be fine. She would definitely trip the
guilt fantastic at leaving time, though. Oh, the pathos! I would fall
for it, too, every time. Loki's more likely to just shrug and go to bed
for a nap once it's clear we're not taking him, though he does indulge
in a bit of a guilt trip and convinces me I am horrible.

Tami