[NFB-Science] Advice for an Aspiring Science Teacher

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Fri Jan 22 17:16:40 UTC 2021

Hi Lauren,

I first want to say that it is still more than possible to achieve your goal to become a science teacher. This listserv will be a valuable resource for you. I am also happy to help you out as well. I am blind and have a PhD in computational biology and my wife is a middle school science teacher, though she is not blind. I'm happy to discuss any questions over email (kwcurrin at email.unc.edu) or phone (please email me off list for my phone number) now or in the future.

Here is some advice I can give now. For your hands-on labs in college, such as chemistry or physics, it is very useful to have a human assistant to help you. When I was in college, the disability services office hired someone to do the hands-on lab things that weren't safe or accessible enough for me to do independently (such as handling certain chemicals). I would then record the observations and numbers and write up the lab reports. Once you become a teacher, you can control how accessible your labs are, which is very helpful.

Thanks,

Kevin