[nfb-talk] Proposal and predictions

RyanO ryano218 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 1 02:50:13 UTC 2009

David, I fully agree with you on your prediction about synthetic vision.
I've said before that society will come up with a "cure for blindness" long
before it joins us in our belief that it is respectable to be blind. I heard
a radio commercial the other day with a cheesy rendition of, "What a
Wonderful World," in the background. The announcer asked parents to imagine
how terrible it would be to raise a child without sight. The fact that a
commercial like this can be aired in the mainstream today in a
hypersensitive culture of political correctness speaks volumes.

Of course, world events may take us down a much darker path than the one
that leads to artificial vision. I firmly believe that circumstances could
lead us to a point when it would be a common societal practice to abort
embryos that are deemed "defective" by doctors. We may even hit a point
where our countries cannot economically sustain programs for the disabled.
Some have accused me of holding an extreme view on this futuristic vision,
but I sincerely believe that it is possible. War and economic collapse often
drive people into extreme behavior.

RyanO