[nfb-talk] Proposal and predictions

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 1 16:44:35 UTC 2009

We're getting off the topic of the original proposal so it's a good thing
somebody changed the subject line. But I would like to point out that it's
not particularly relevant that people think blindness is horrible when it
comes to the proposal that the NFB start providing adaptive equipment. The
idea that blindness is horrible and that we're helpless are related but not
identical. And while supplying adaptive equipment may not help dispel the
idea that being blind is horrible, it might help dispel the idea that we're
helpless.

Anyway, back to what you're saying...

I probably have told the story about how several of my friends insist that
if they went blind, they'd kill themselves. I ask them how they can think
that when they see me clearly happy and successful. But they say I can
handle it. To some degree they are complimenting my toughness but it's also
partially that they see me as a total nerd. It's not so bad for a nerd to be
blind but if you're a normal human being, it's horrible.

Anyway, in spite of all my efforts to convince them otherwise, they insist
that they'd kill themselves. And I'm talking about 2 groups of friends. One
group are people I work with and the other is people I run with. They both
know me really well and never the less think that suicide would be a valid
option if they go blind.

I also would not dispute the idea that parents would probably abort a fetus
if they were warned in advance that it would be blind. I suspect that
probably has already happened. If it hasn't, it's probably only because
there's no way to detect it.

The final point I'd like to make is that I think people are underestimating
how soon we'll have artificial vision.  It' funny I got into an argument on
this list about Ray Kurswail's predictions which I think are unrealistically
optimistic. But we already have rudimentary artificial vision. It doesn't
take a great deal of imagination to picture improvements that would give
people effective artificial vision.