[nfb-talk] critical analysis paper

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 22 19:57:38 UTC 2010

Hi Lisa,
While I can't provide articles I can look at your question from personal
experience. I think that you answer your own question in addressing the
issue of learning advocacy and the need to compete in the sighted world.
Schools for the blind provide a need for some students who for whatever
reason are unable to function in a main stream school environment. I went to
local special education classes where I learned Braille in the early 1960's
and spent much of the day main streamed in regular classes. From sixth grade
on I attended regular neighborhood schools in a suburban school district
where I was the only blind student. I grew up in a medium sized city where I
had exposure to studnets attending public school and the state school for
the blind. There were significant differences in the behavior and
socialization skills of the students where many of those attending the
school for the blind while may have been able to excel in certain areas
stereotypical for blind children of that time were not as socially
acclimated to functioning in the real world because of the isolation. It is
interesting to note that states such as Michigan closed their school for the
blind approximately 20 years ago and I think that Oregon did so within the
last year or two.
Chuck